The number of kinds of works covered by copyright has increased a lot over the years. The first copyright act, in 1790, covered just books, maps, and charts. Subsequent laws have added things like music, photos, and film. For a real history you can check the Copyright Office circular, but here’s an emoji timeline. 1790: […]
about meI'm a free culture and free software enthusiast working as an activist at the Electronic Frontier Foundation in San Francisco. I enjoy thinking and writing about technology, listening to all kinds of music, and playing ukulele. more »
- Writing the Prince symbol in Unicode
- "We will need writers who can remember freedom": Ursula K Le Guin at the National Book Awards
- HOWTO: Transfer OTR private keys between Adium and Pidgin
- HOWTO: Create an animated gif from a video with command line tools
- The 18 flags of San Francisco's Civic Center Plaza
deep-linking and highlightingThis site uses the Emphasis system for paragraph-level permalinks and sentence-level highlights. Press your Shift key twice while on any article on this site to enable those options.