Like many around the web, I was struck last month by the obituary of Bell Labs engineer John E. Karlin, whose greatest legacy may be the keypad design on traditional touch-tone phones. (That is, the arrangement in a 3×3 grid with the 1-2-3 across the top instead of the bottom.) I had long heard the […]
about meI'm a free culture and free software enthusiast working as an activist at the Electronic Frontier Foundation in San Francisco. I enjoy thinking and writing about technology, listening to all kinds of music, and playing ukulele. more »
- Writing the Prince symbol in Unicode
- "We will need writers who can remember freedom": Ursula K Le Guin at the National Book Awards
- HOWTO: Transfer OTR private keys between Adium and Pidgin
- HOWTO: Create an animated gif from a video with command line tools
- The US government should release these 7,584 fruit paintings
deep-linking and highlightingThis site uses the Emphasis system for paragraph-level permalinks and sentence-level highlights. Press your Shift key twice while on any article on this site to enable those options.